11.02.2010

Halloween 2010

This year for Halloween we needed easy and budget-friendly.  We went to the local Halloween store to see if they had anything discounted yet (it was the 30th after all!) and of course all their baby costumes were 25-35 dollars.  No way I'm spending money like that on something he's gonna wear once!

But while we were there, we saw a 30 dollar Mario costume and thought, hey, we could totally throw that together ourselves!  So then we went to Target and got a red long-sleeved shirt and some overalls and red socks.  His brown church shoes worked perfectly for Mario's shoes (thanks Amy Duran!) and Marcos tailored a red hat of his to fit Mason and stuck a printed out "M" on it.  The finishing touch?  The yellow buttons.  We just cut circles in yellow colored paper I already had and wrapped them around the existing buttons.  Done!

We thought about drawing a mustache on him with eyeliner or chocolate or something, but the chocolate would get everywhere and I was nervous about putting makeup on my baby.  He still looked stinkin' cute!

The great thing is that he can wear that red shirt and overalls all winter, and they were still cheaper than buying a costume (which by the way, I'll have no problem doing when we actually have some semblance of money someday!).

And I may as well point out since I noticed it's in the picture below...see that white latch to the left of our dishwasher that hooks onto the wood?  Yeah, that's what we had to attach so he'd stop playing with our forks and knives and starting our dishwasher when it's half empty.  It works!
It'sa me, Mario!
Mario crying-power

Tongue-power Mario
Tongue-power Mario 2
Papereating-power Mario
One thing I'd do differently is put some plastic wrap over his paper buttons, because by the end of the night he was already chewing them off!  And he definitely did not want to wear his hat.  At all.  All pictures of him in the hat are against his will.  But they sure are cute!

Cheesy Mario No Hat (he has 99 lives!)

5 comments:

Katie said...

Very very cute and creative! I love home-made and improvised costumes. That's half the fun of Halloween! Good job! Next year you should all 3 be Mario, Luigi, and Princess what's-her-face!

Amy said...

So cute! and very clever!

Rachel said...

What a cute Mario!!

Ms. Green Eyes said...

We love that little Mario!

Here's our blog address:
seenthrugreeneyes.blogspot.com

See you soon!
Nicole

Alycia Grayce (Crowley Party) said...

What a great last picture! captures such a great emotion! haha