11.24.2008

Trans-Siberian Orchestra

Last Wednesday night Marcos and I went to the Trans-Siberian Orchestra concert. Have you seen it? It's AMAZING! I don't even know how to describe it...it's like nothing we've ever seen. The pictures and video clips don't do it justice at all. Their style takes getting use to at the beginning, but I VERY much enjoyed the concert, and Marcos and I are sure to go again!


WHAT I LIKED:
  • INCREDIBLE light effects in sync with the music
  • LOTS of fireworks, flame effects, and other such pyrotechnics. (Marcos' favorite!)
  • The musicians had way more of the spotlight than the singers *refreshing*
  • Very funny "duels" between 2 electric guitarists, and then 2 pianists (my favorite!)
  • Exciting variety of rock versions: Christmas songs, classical songs, and even Charlie Brown.
  • Cool (punny) fake snow dropped on audience during Christmas songs.
  • Band very generous with audience contact: ran through aisles in the back, brought a random kid on stage and gave him one of their guitars, meet & greet with fans after show.
WHAT I LIKED LESS:
  • 3 hour concert....long, but they keep you entertained! You sure get your money's worth.
  • A lot of rockin' out with electric guitars. Good thing the insane light effects keep you visually stimulated...I think I could only watch them hand-bang for so long.
  • If you don't know what to expect (like I didn't), the beginning is SENSORY OVERLOAD with all the C.R.A.Z.Y. lights and loud music. But you get used to it, and then you want more!


We sat in the cheap nosebleed section, but they turned out to be great seats. You'll see why in a second. In reality, you don't even notice the railing, but you sure can in pictures. *great*



See the huge machinery frames the lights come off of above the stage? These machines invert and rotate all sorts of crazy ways to make different designs above the band. As you can see, this pic looks way different than the previous. We called these machines the "transformers" because that's exactly what they look like when they move. SO COOL.




Remember what I said about excellent audience contact and how our seats weren't that bad? Half way through the show, performers come to the far back on a raised stage and are front & center for the people (like us) that got cheap seats far away. It's funny, because they're hooked to poles so they don't fall off. The girl (left) is playing an electric violin.



Right as we left, we realized we never took a picture of ourselves at the event, so here's our makeshift photo as we were leaving, trying to get the souvenir shop in the background. I highly recommend this concert. It is a treat for the eyes and ears!

5 comments:

Erin Hoy said...

I love the Trans-Siberian Orchestra and would love to go someday! But I don't know if I could sit still for 3 hours :) Looks like it was a great show though :)

Amy said...

We (okay I) want to go with you next time! Looks like an awesome show! :)

Sarah said...

The Trans-Siberian Orchestra seriously crazks me up! They always have, I dunno why??? I think it's the idea of a heavy metal Christmas. I can't wrap my brain around that. But the concert looks like major fun!

jennifer said...

i'm with amy. i'll go next time too. maybe jeremy would like it? i don't know. that looked like a ton of fun.

Katie said...

Wow I'm so surprised- I never would have thought twice about going to one of their concerts. Good to know you liked it so much- I'll have to try and go sometime.