10.27.2009

What I Wish I'd Known #1


What I thought:
Babies fall asleep when they are tired.

Especially the during the first few weeks, my kid sure did cry a lot. A. LOT. I tried EVERYTHING to get him to stop crying. I thought newborns were supposed to sleep most of the day...ya know, like a cat or something. Why was mine always awake and crying?

What I learned: My baby cries when he is tired.

Apparently, not all babies fall asleep when they're tired. Thank you "Babywise" for the light bulb. My kid cries to fight sleep in a desperate attempt to keep himself awake. Wish I'd known this sooner...would've saved myself lots of agonizing time trying to soothe him with the swing, the bouncer, the floor, etc.

So now when he starts to get fussy, I put him to bed. And ya know what? He falls asleep! I know it sounds simple, but I just thought he'd magically fall asleep by himself when he's ready.

Cats are so much easier.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Isn't Babywise awesome? I love that book! It has saved me so much grief!

Kristen said...

Haha, yep, I lived in the pages of Babywise for the first few months of Connor's life. You sound like you're all doing so well!!